Thursday, January 10, 2013

Human Being

Dear Brave Butterfly,

Hi friend!  Recently I sat down on the brown chaise lounge in my bedroom to have time with God.  I excitedly awaited what words of wisdom he might have for me.  Like a puppy chomping at the bits, thoughts of what he might have me do rattled through my brain:  I'm ready for it.  Give it to me.  I'm ready to go.  

And then his words came to me - I know they were from God because these words never cross my mind naturally:  "Slow down.  Rest." 

What?  There must be some mistake.  Maybe I am on the wrong frequency channel with God.  

"Slow down.  Rest." 

But I'm ready to go!  I can do it.  I'm like a dog on a bone.  Let me at 'em.

"Rest."

Really?  Rest?  Rest is hard for me.  It's much easier for me to do than be.  Being requires quiet.  Being requires sitting still.  Being requires giving up control.  Being requires...well... being. 

Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.

Being is hard in a performance based culture.  There are things to be done, items to be checked off the list.  There are good distractions everywhere.  I'm reminded of an article I read recently in Redbook magazine.  It read, "I am not a human doing, I am a human being."

God did not create me to be a human doing.  I am a human BEing.

1 comment:

  1. The settings are now changed so anyone can post a comment under "anonymous". Hope to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete